Auteureist NaNoWriMo Update
Well there is no easy way to say this, but I won’t be done testing before NaNoWriMo starts.The main problem is that work is really keeping me busy and by the time the evening hits all I want to do is get away from computers and coding/testing. In addition, a major bug has cropped up and I don’t want to rush things before the app at least doesn’t have a major problem. The third reason, is that Apple is supposedly releasing iOS 4 for the iPad in November—which would just mean having to retest and fix iOS4 issues. I’ve been targeting 3.2—I don’t feel comfortable working with beta releases—even when developing. Hitting a moving target is much harder, and as you know, I am only one person plus some testers.
So, that’s the bad news. Auteureist for the iPad won’t make it in time for NaNoWriMo. I was really hoping and pushing to make it. So what’s the good news? Well, it may not seem like much, but the iPad app is very cool, and the final product will be much more stable than it is now. Also, you CAN use Auteureist on the iPad in 2x mode. It’s not bad that way. Also you will be able to move your writing over to the iPad version once it’s available. Dropbox integration is solid. I do most of my writing on the iPhone (because it’s always with me) but for long stretches, I push a copy to Dropbox, and pull it to the iPad, and back when I’m done.
The other benefit in delaying—at least for me, is that I will work on my NaNoWriMo novel completely on the iPad version—which will really tell me whether the UI is usable. There is a big difference in using an app for a few hours or minutes and using it for a full month on a single project. I learned a lot and adjusted the UI for the iPhone based on what I learned doing NaNoWriMo before the iPhone version was released. The same will be true this time.
So, apologies to all, hope you bear with me.